Holistic care is an approach to healthcare that focuses on treating the whole person rather than just their physical symptoms. For people living with Memory Loss, this type of care is essential as it considers the unique challenges that come with this condition. Keep reading to learn why holistic care can be vital for people living with Memory Loss.
The Importance of Holistic Care for People Living with Memory Loss
Memory Loss can affect not only a person’s cognitive abilities, but also their mental and emotional well-being. Therefore, treatment for memory loss should not be limited to medication or therapy alone. Rather, it should encompass a wide range of strategies, such as lifestyle changes, social support, and alternative therapies. This is where holistic care comes into play. Holistic care is centered around the belief that good health involves maintaining balance between physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being.
Holistic Care for People Living with Memory Loss
By providing holistic care, healthcare professionals can help individuals with Memory Loss manage their symptoms and maintain a higher quality of life.
Holistic care involves integrating physical, emotional, mental, and social states to create a plan that is tailored to the individual’s specific needs.
- Physical care involves improving nutrition and exercise, which can lead to overall health benefits.
- Emotional care is vital to ensure that one does not feel isolated and unsupported.
- Mental care focuses on exercises that improve cognitive function.
- Social care emphasizes effective communication, building connections with family and friends.
How Holistic Care Helps People With Memory Loss
Memory Loss affects the body in unpredictable ways, including adding to issues that can adversely affect the spirit and body of a person. Here’s how holistic care can benefit people living with Memory Loss.
- Reduces Stress and Anxiety: A physical or mental health condition can increase the amount of stress and anxiety a person living with Memory Loss must endure. Understanding their care plan can help reduce the symptoms that accompany these emotions.
- Improves Quality of Life: Whether the person living with Memory Loss requires partial or full support with daily living activities, holistic care intervention can help improve the quality of life of the person.
- Increases Overall Well-Being: Holistic care is the definition of whole-body health. By focusing on Memory Loss care that enhances the physical, mental, and emotional functions of a body, people living with Memory Loss can have better overall well-being.
The Role of Care Partners in Providing Holistic Care
When it comes to providing holistic care, care partners play a critical role in ensuring that the person living with Memory Loss’s needs are met beyond just their physical health. Care partners work in partnership with healthcare professionals to offer support and encouragement as people living with Memory Loss navigate the complexities of their healthcare journey.
They help to promote a sense of emotional well-being by offering comfort, companionship, and a listening ear. They also help to provide spiritual support by connecting patients with their beliefs, values, and traditions.
Holistic Care Approaches for People Living with Memory Loss
There are various types of therapy that can improve the quality of life of people living with Memory Loss while providing overall support.
- Person-Centred Care: Part of Memory Care focuses on person-centred care. With personalized care treatments, this form of holistic care helps to enhance a person’s daily living.
- Art Therapy: Memory Loss often makes it difficult for people to express their mood, personality, and creativity. Through art therapy, a person can improve their communication skills and find a sense of pride.
- Music Therapy: Music has the tendency to boost memory recall as it can take a person back to a time of wonder and fulfillment. It can also be used to stimulate physical movement or to create a positive atmosphere.
- Reminiscence Therapy: Memory Care can involve using mementos such as movies, books, and photos to reignite precious memories that may otherwise be lost.
- Nature Therapy: A person’s physical and emotional health can be improved with participation in nature therapy, also referred to as ecotherapy. This form of therapy immerses a person in the great outdoors.
- Pet Therapy: A pet therapy program is designed to provide an emotional bond for the person living with Memory Loss. Studies have shown interaction with animals can help lower blood pressure while boosting serotonin levels.
Memory & Company Respite Care Services for People Living with Memory Loss
Whether you need short-term respite care or long-term Memory Care at a Respite Hotel, Memory & Company offers various accommodations. We provide specialized programs focused on socialization, cognitive and physical fitness, recreational activities, and daily living tasks. Contact us at (905) 888-8808, email us at email@example.com, or fill out our contact form to book a guided tour of our Markham or Oakville community.